Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Catching Up on the Tube

Since I'm not ready to go to bed and hoping the paper will come out sometime soon . . .


  • As the World Turns: Yes, I watched it again today. In my defense, some great actors have got their starts on soaps. Ms. Julianne Moore got her very start as Frannie on ATWT back when I was in high school. I am really enjoying the scenes with Emily and the ever-delightful Henry. Totally bonkers but great fun.

    I am waiting for them to get back to the fallout from the Boathouse Incident from last week. Luke got Lucinda to lie for him and say Kevin wasn't there, which almost worked until Kevin's dad brought him over to apologize. Now Holden has forbidden Luke from seeing Kevin, and taken away "driving privileges," so whatever bad thing will happen next will surely involve Luke in a car. Melodrama is so fun.

    Still, Elizabeth Hubbard as Lucinda was in rare form in her scenes with Luke, sensing that something was deeply troubling him, but unable to put a finger on it. "We said we would survive together," she implores him, "Why is it that you want to die?" Great stuff.

  • The Shield: They brought back Shane's manipulative wife, Mara, which is a great thing dramatically. I'm a little worried about the women on the show this season. Last year, CCH Pounder and Glenn Close gave the best performances by women in TV dramas (and y'all know how much I just plain love Ms. Kyra Sedgwick in The Closer). This year, there's the hottie Latina newbie, and now Dani's stuck in the Barn, so very pregnant, as the nannying mother of everybody, and CCH's Claudette is mysteriously afflicted (why can't Dutch just ask her what's going on and get it over with?). I need some strong women to wash down the Strike Team's raging machismo.
    But Forest Whitaker almost makes up for everything. I hope they can find a plausible reason for him to play Benito Martinez's ambitious councilman every week. And, just when you thought they couldn't go anywhere with Lem-wearing-a-wire, they have the whole Strike Team know, and now they're writing notes to each other and, in my favorite scene, sharing the bad news on a laptop while Walton Goggins' Shane tells an extended bad joke very badly. (Why doesn't he ever get an Emmy nomination? And I think I may actually start saying, "Shortie's got game" -- with his accent, of course.)

  • Monk: This is getting a bit pathetic that I'm watching so few shows I can list them all. But I want to say, to the producers of Monk: your show is incredibly amusing, it's always teetered on the verge of tediousness, and sometimes fallen flat on its OCD face on the wrong side of that line. (And we have to stay within the lines!)

    I put up with it when you had Laurie Metcalf as the wacky woman who claims Monk as her husband after Mr. Monk hit his head. There was a nice payoff with someone deliberately getting stung by bees (though you lose points for not using the word apiary).

    This week's episode, though, had two major problems: (1) it was so obvious what was happening in the very first scene (or second scene) when the sergeant picked the fight with the captain and (2) do we really care if the captain's wife leaves him because their marriage was over long ago? I mean, first you're all so very obvious, and then you go all Debbie Downer at the end.

    Still, the season premiere was delish, with Mr. Monk checking on his favorite inspector, No. 8, at the shirt factory to see why she was so upset and letting her quality level drop. So there's hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home