Tuesday, January 03, 2006

On the Mountain

Saw Brokeback tonight. Need to process it a bit more before posting in more detail.

I will say that I had read the Annie Proulx short story over a year ago, right after I first heard they were making it into a movie. The filmmakers managed to keep the story's hardscrabble texture while expanding it to feature length. They also managed to retain many of the small, wonderful moments. I had forgotten the story's ending -- the bit with the shirts -- which was one of the moments where this spare and lyrical film was suddenly overwhelming -- right up from the depths.

My first reaction is that this is an extraordinary film, and quite a radical one, in its own quiet, everyday way -- more about that later.

(And yes, Kyle, the Shinnian reference is for you!)

3 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

Oh no...you know Shinn better than I do.... I missed the ref!

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger BT said...

Well, I can never resist an allusion -- no matter how oblique!

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

OMG, the effing title! I was looking in the post. Sorry....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home